Friday, September 26, 2008

Login Window shortcut for OSX Fast User Switching

There is, at time of writing, no shortcut for OSX with Fast User Switching enabled to take you to the Login Window.

As is you have to use the icon in the menu bar.

I found many references to this and the simplest, for me was this:

The code is simple to actually take us to the Login Window (without closing our applications as SHIFT COMMAND Q does


Here's the code we want to run:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend

You could create a work flow to run that command, put that in your dock or make a hotkey for it.

As I use Quicksilver rather than the Dock, it comes with the ability to install triggers.

So now when I hit Control-Option-Command L I go straight to the Login Window.